Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cutting down Cypress trees (cheaply and easily!)

Tone70 wrote:
Hello there,
A group of friends and I have been gradually chopping down some
Cypress trees in my garden under instruction from my insurance
company as they're causing subsidence in my house. We've been
battling away with bow saws and even a hack saw and progress seems
slow. From the start I was looking to get them down extremely cheaply
and not involve expensive tree fellers costing me hundreds of pounds
which I can ill afford. Chainsaws were mentioned but i'm looking for
a more manual angle. The bow saws we have seem to take forever to
slice through the bark, could anyone recommend something that could
get the job done quicker, bearing in mind nothing electrical! Someone
at work mentioned a 'tree saw' which is tougher than a bow saw, but I
can't seem to find this tool. Would an axe do the trick? Diesel in
the bark (drastic last resort if bow saw's the only option!)? Any
tool that can slice through the bark quicker than a bow saw and get
the job done in half the time would be exceedingly handy. Any ideas?
Cheers for your help!

I am concerned that you seem to have little or no idea about this project
and that you may do harm to your house or yourself. How tall are these
trees? How many of them? How thick is the heaviest trunk?

Felling large trees near a house is NOT something to take on if you know so
little that you would use a hacksaw.

A bowsaw about 70cm long with teeth about 9 mm will cut quite large branches
with a person on each end provided it is sharp (buy a new blade if it isn't)
and the two know how to cooperate and how to not jam the blade. Hiring a
chainsaw would be a cost effective option but you need somebody who knows
how to use it, also you need safety gear but that ought to be supplied with
the saw. A clumsy tyro can cut off their foot as easily as the tree branch.
I fear an accident in the making.

David