Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Small tree and Cherry tomatoes

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:37:27 +0000, Granity
wrote:

queen eleanor;925216 Wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have recently acquired a big
ceramic pot which would be suitable for a small tree. Can anyone
recommend a nice looking, easy to care for, small tree? I don't want it
to grow massive... am I being stupid in assuming I could get a small
tree that will stay small?!?

Also, someone has given me some cherry tomato plants which are in my
kitchen window. I don't know how to care for them, can someone give me
some tips. I would prefer them to be outside. I don't have a proper
greenhouse but I do have a mini greenhouse from Homebase.

Thanks very much for your help!

We have a red leaved Acer, I think it's 'Garnet', in a largish pot,
provided it is regularly watered it does very well although it got
caught by the late frost this year.

Yes: I've got a Japanese maple in an 18" pot, in which it's perfectly
happy. It'll need moving on or chucking out one of these years, of
course. A problem with all these imported ceramic pots is that the
drainage holes are ridiculously small: if you haven't got a suitable
drill, you do need to avoid over-watering as much as underwatering.

--
Mike.