Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Old Wellies Old Wellies is offline
Registered User

I think you have to make a decision between people who do this for a living, or the DIY gardeners who have read Doctor Hessions 25 year old garden book.

Techniques have changed in the professional industry over the last few years; remember Saturday football, with teams so muddy you could not tell what team was playing.

Water conservation is important to some people, but not everyone. If you have a new turf area you need to keep it wet. If you don’t, watch what happens. Shrinkage and damaged areas within days. Morning or mid afternoon it makes no difference it’s a percentage game with saving water. Everyone seems to try to better the last person’s comments.

I have trained green and grounds men for years, regardless of what anyone says, some one always knows better. I always tell my class "Advice comes cheap, but you have to pay for experience".

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On May 28, 2:01*pm, Robby1 wrote:
garden_gal2;923098 Wrote:

Hi all
Bit new to this so any help appreciated.

I had new turf laid in my garden on Monday. It looked amazing at first,
so pleased with the result!

However, we have had very hot dry weather since and despite watering, I
think part of the lawn may now have died. When I returned home from work
yesterday (having watered for 2 hours the night before) two of the turf
'slabs' were a different colour from the others, looking straw-like and
an odd blueish shade of green. They felt really dry. I watered it for a
further two-and-a-bit hours focusing mainly on these areas, but this
morning the discolouration was still there

My mistake may have been waiting until dusk to water (as the gardener
told me to do this to avoid scorching) or possibly a faulty sprinkler -
I'm not sure it has covered all areas. However my neighbours did not
water on the first day at all (we both had the turf laid on monday) and
their still looks in better shape.

Has the turf died or can I revive it somehow with more watering? I'm so
worried about it as this was an expensive and long-awaited project and I
can't believe I've ruined it so quickly. Please help!

You really need a sprinkler. Water over night and turn of in the
morning. The lawn may need aerating if it has got to dry. Dry, hard soil
will resist watering as it compacts as it dries.

--
Robby1- Hide quoted text -

More cluesss advice. Aerate sod that was laid a week ago?
Watering should be done just before the sun comes up. That
way you minimize evaporation and also don't leave the grass
wet for most of the night. Watering at say 8PM and keeping
it wet at night in summer is prescription for disease and
fungus.