Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
P&L

Default co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle?

I have been running yeast CO2 for years - I have found that its really not
worth the bother to try to nurse a few more days of bubbles out of a dying
batch. Its the same effort just to dump it and mix a fresh one. I use I
packet of yeast started in a inch of lukewarm tapwater. I then fill the 2l
container up 3/4 full with more tapwater (yes - with the chloramine), dump
in a cup of sugar and go. It will run hard for 2 days, less but steady for
another 12 or so, then trail off for another week. I refresh every second
weekend like clockwork as part of standard tank maintenance. The difference
achived with treated water or aquarium water is maybe two days. You're
standing in front of the sink anyway, just use the damn tap.

Feed the output up into the filter siphon (cannister). The filter itself
makes a dead simple and superior reactor.

"Ron Kundla" wrote in message

As long as you have a surviving culture, you can reuse the same yeast
for quite some time before it kinda gives up and you have to start
fresh.