Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Spiraea Behaviour

On Jun 4, 9:15*am, "Ian B" wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 2, 5:48 pm, "Ian B" wrote:
In my front "garden" (it's a bed that faces onto the council's grass
kind of thing) I have a Spiraea "Japonica Firelight". It says on the
tin that it's a shrub and the internet describes it as "upright",
but looking at it yesterday while I was weeding and stuff like that,
it's... I can't think of a good word. Kind of "sprawling" rather
than an upright shrubby shape. Will the stems get harder and support
a "shape" as it gets more mature? Should I cut it to a particular
shape? I can't quite describe what I mean, but it looks at the
moment like it wants to just sprawl along the ground rather than
grow up. It's not very big at the moment, about two foot across.

Ian

If you will buy Spiraeam in tins.
I'd cut it back after flowering, the new growth should grow to give
you much more upright growth., though it depends to some extent on the
variety.
A picture would help.

Thanks Dave. I just figured out how to get a cameraphone bluetoothed to my
PC or whatnot, so now proudly present a first foray into plant photography--

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...rden%201/?acti...

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...rden%201/?acti...

(Image host is "family safe").

Ian- Hide quoted text -

That looks quite normal for a young Spiraea the new growth comes up
through the old and gradualy the plant get taller, each lot of new
growth getting taller than the last.