Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Bob Alston

Default No PH change with DIY CO2

AGree probably the yeast. Also, it is possible to kill the yeast - I am
told - by using too hot of water. I am told you need to use slightly warm
water but definitely NOT HOT. Also, cold water is supposed to work, just
take longer for the yeast to wake up. Before you buy more yeast, try cooler
water.

Bob
"Rick" wrote in message
a...

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
I wouldn't buffer the water with baking soda (unless you have acidic

water
already---but 7.6 should drop to about 6.8 or so which is fine for most
fish)--if you do that, you cannot accurately measure C02 with KH and PH
readings without strictly letting your water be carbonate buffered

(natural
buffering capacity of the water). Also, some natural water supplies have
high phosphate content, which invalidates any calculations for C02

readings
including C02 test kits.

Just a thought,
Dave.

I only buffer the water in my Cichlid tank where there is no CO2. In my

20g
tank I checked again this morning and the co2 is happily bubbling away via
the Rena bubbler and my PH might have dropped from 7.6 to 7.5, hard to

tell
with those test kits unless you get a larger swing. I'm not going to worry
about it but I would have liked to have seen something constructive happen
like some pearling. I also have a 1 gallon jug hooked up into my 77G tank.

hooked it up two days ago and have yet to see a bubble. I have added

another
1/4 teaspoon of yeast yesterday, nada, added another 1/4 today from a

fresh
package. I hooked up another one gallon jug and added fresh yeast to it,
both jugs are hooked up via a t connection. On the first jug if I removed
the line from the anti siphon valve and held it under water while I
vigorously shook the jug I would get a few bubbles and then nothing so it
appears to me that maybe the yeast is no good. This is wine making yeast I
am using. The package was opened about 10 days ago for the 20 g tank and
then stored in the fridge, does this stuff go bad?? I checked all the
fitting by immersing them underwater and found no leaks.

Rick