Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default uggeat buying your plants fro

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 17:23:46 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Is it necessary?

I finally -- after waiting literally decades! -- got a pair of
blueberry bushes that had been adapted to need much less winter chill,
so can be grown in So. Calif coastal.

The "O'Neal" bush is loaded with big fat delicious blueberries

Its companion, "Sunshine", is also loaded -- but with tiny, miserable-
looking berries that are drying up by the day.
I am returning it to the nursery.

Questions:

1. Is "cross-fertilization" necesssary? Some of the sites I visited
said yes; others said (AFAIK) that O'Neal was self-pollinating but
would be better with cross.

2. If so, why can't it be between same varieties, rather than across
varieties?

I am dizzy trying to evaluate the many varieties listed on the sites I
visited. My #1,2,3, and so on requirement is FLAVOR. Prefer more
tangy than mild.

Your input appreciated -- keeping in mind this is So. Calif. Coastal.

It's called cross-pollenation. Although blueberries are self-fertile,
you will get larger berries and more of them if you have two different
cultivars to cross pollinate. And some varieties do need a separate
pollenator (rabbit eye). There are early, mid-season, and late
cultivars... make sure the pollenators you choose flower at the same
time. I suggest buying your plants from a reliable local nursery that
grows their own.
http://gardening.about.com/od/berries/a/Blueberries.htm