Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Alex R

Default No PH change with DIY CO2

"Rick" wrote in message
I set up 2 liter bottle of DIY CO2 about 10 days ago, mixed up 2 cups of
sugar, 1/4 tsp of yeast and a pinch of baking soda and filled the bottle
about 3/4 full. I initially had this hooked into a powerhead. It was
dispensing as I could see the puffs of gas coming out of the output. I
recently bought some Rena Micro bubblers to use rather than the power head
and now have the bottle with a fresh mix (last night) hooked into a 4"
bubbler in a 20g planted tank. My Ph in the tank remains at about 7.6. I

can
see bubbles coming out of the bubbler but should the PH not change ?. Is

the
tank not getting enough CO2, one would think in a 20g that one two liter
bottle would be enough, yes, no??

If the pH is not changing, that means there's no extra CO2 being dissolved
from your generator. And it's obvious why. You're using an airstone to
diffuse your CO2 gas. DIY CO2 cannot be diffused successfully because the
pressure needed to run an adequate diffuser must be much higher than the
yeast generator can produce. A powerhead would work much better in your case
because it would act as a reactor. Or you can inject it directly into your
power or canister filter. That's what most people do, I believe. Your CO2
level should increase overnight as much as it will ever increase.
__
Alex