Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default straw for strawberries?

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:15:40 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , mogga
writes
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?

Where do you live (village, town, city?)

Oldham but the Manchester side. My OH isn't keen on the idea of
anything dusty/dirty/messy in his car.

I buy it from a local farmer, who runs a farm shop and sells some from
there (IIRC £1.50/bale, which will do quite a lot of strawberries - we
use if for general mulching around the veg beds as well)). If you know
of any farm shops you could ask there.

Somewhere that sells horse-y supplies? The is a place near us that sells
pets foods, piltry supplies and horse feeds etc. and IIRc they sell
straw bales.

Only aldi selling horse blankets... (Always made me smile)

A sheet mulch of some sort should work ok - some people grow them
through plastic sheet or mulching sheets anyway. layers of newspaper
maybe?

I'll have a look at what stuff we have in the garage. I think I have
some agricultural fleece - maybe that will do.

I saw plastic weed control stuff at tesco yesterday £2.40 for 1.5m x
5m.

ta
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk