Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Time to repot tomatoes?

BigKev wrote:
Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started
flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until
they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web. In
fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to remove
the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

That sounds like bad advice to me. The plants probably will start to
flower from the stress of being potbound, but they'll also be stunted.
Then you plant them in the ground and while they are trying to grow out
of it, they have the added stress of carrying a few little 'maters.

That can't be good for the total harvest, even if it bumps it up a week.

-Bob