Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Garlic

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 09:57:29 +0000, dellablackie
wrote:

hi, could any one tell me at what stage a garlic plant will start to
form a bulb? we planted some out in oct, all looks good on top but
having dug one up just to be nosey noticed it looked more like a spring
onion,when do they split to form cloves? are we just wasting our time
leaving them in or is there time yet? mid july -aug to harvest. many
thanks

Mine were damaged by fox activity some weeks ago. Tops are pretty
much dead. I lifted about half of them. The bulbs are small but
flavourful. Will lift the rest tomorrow - assuming that it isn't
raining too hard.

Regards
JonH