Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Snow peas fencing. Question .

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:

Due to the weather I put snow peas in seedling trays under lights for
about
2 weeks tops. I guess about 50 plants. I didn't look at them for a
couple
three days. They are over a foot tall and tipped over. Can I put two
poles
in the ground and hang 3 foot chicken wire fencing and put them on it.
Will
that be ok. Or taller

I planted 3 varieties of snow peas. 2 climbers that said they'd go
3-6' - and one bush variety that said 18" =- no fencing needed.

I've never had any luck starting them anywhere but where they were
going to grow. I've scraped 6" of snow off a muddy garden to plant
a row on Good Friday-- and they've looked as good as this years crop
which were planted on an 80degree Good Friday, got rained on for a
fortnight, and baked for 10 days before nature went back to May
weather on June 1st.

Are they part shade?? I can put them behind the corn or in front of it.
get all the light.

I forget where you are-- if it is likely to be over 70 in the next
couple weeks, I'd go behind the corn. If cooler, then get the sun
and hope for the best.

My earlier ones are in blossom in zone 5-- The whole lot will be
compost in a month.

Jim

Zone 5 Ohio