Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
coykiesaol coykiesaol is offline
Registered User

Default Recently planted Veggies in Clay Soil

Hello,

I recently planted a vegtable garden in our new house and while planting discovered that our soil is clay. At the time I didn't think much of it and continued to plant the tomatos, peppers, basil, peas, squash but after looking online I found that it seems my plants are doomed. That once their roots grow past the hole that was dug for them and filled in w/ good soil and compost that the roots will not be able to penetrate the clay. What do I do know that my plants are already in the ground? Do I dig them up and make bigger holes? Do I let them go and hope for the best? We are planning on making raised beds for our garden later this summer, we just didn't have time right now since we just moved in last weekend. Is there anything to save my veggies?

Thank you for your help!