Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
may may is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
What are you doing in the way of pruning the clematis? It's the new growth the snails like, and although they can climb, most damage is within a couple of feet of ground level. I find that if I can get my clematis above about 3 ft high (if necessary by growing them in a pot in the greenhouse away from snails) then they are OK. It's a matter of making sure they have dry woody stems up to about 3ft, so, obviously, never pruning them lower than that.

these clematis have been in the ground for about 3 or 4 years and they were getting quite big, one was all over an obolisk about 6 feet tall, and another was growing through a roderdendron about 7 foot tall , and the others were all about 4 feet tall .
i have noticed that the snails only seem to go for the big flower type.

The ones that are early flowering like the montana they seem to stay away from ,and the ones that have to be pruned alot with a smaller leaf and flower they dont seem to go for those either, but its the big saucer flower ones that they always go for .