Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Mark Trueman

Default adding laterite/flourite

Hi,

As some readers may know, im re-doing my planted tank with a better co2
system etc. This re-hash of my tank will involve the removal of all existing
plants due to a BBA infection and a major clean up job. I will then be
planting a whole new set of plants and running pressurised Co2 and PMDD.

What i would like to know is if it is worth adding laterite/ flourite to my
substrate. Its an established tank so im not sure how difficult it would be.
Ive read about people making laterite balls and putting them in the gravel
amongst other methods. I could possibly move all my fish to another large
container for a short period of time while remove all my current gravel, add
the laterite and then replace the original gravel.

Would this be a good option or might it stress the fish? Is there a better
option? Do i need laterite/flourite at all? Which one is preferred? (i
assume its flourite). Will the dustiness of laterite affect the fish in any
way.

Ive seen laterite at a LFS but not flourite. Anyone in the UK (bedfordshire)
know where i can get some?

Cheers

Mark