Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default OT - Age of posters on this NG (and gardeners in general)

wrote:

I'm 37. I bought the house I currently live in about a week before I was
30. Before that I lived in rented flats and houses, which either didn't
have a garden, or I had no time or enthusiasm to deal with.

I'm 71, and in the American Diaspora, to take this with several grains of
salt:
I've always gardened, as did my parents in a suburban location on a
smallish plot.
A data point, perhaps: this July will mark my 10th trip to the Seed
Saver's Exchange annual campout/convention in northeast Iowa (north-central
U.S.). When I first went, the participants were mostly my age, but
following a change in leadership a few years ago, I notice a lot of folks
in their thirties, and a lot with small children; certainly a hopeful sign.
The programs there now have a lot of kid-friendly events.
(Political warning)
It seems that whenever there's an economic downturn or increased concerns
over mass-produced food, there's an increase in local veg gardening and
particularly heirloom seed preservation. I think of it as an earthy facet
of "Fahrenheit 451:"
"I'm Macomber rutabaga and Brandywine tomato!"