Old 08-06-2011, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default OT - Age of posters on this NG (and gardeners in general)

"David WE Roberts" wrote (SNIP))
I have just cut the lawn and cleared a bit of overhanging shrubbery at my
daughter's place (she rents it out ATM and we were letting a tradesman
in). Took me about 30 minutes.

The tenants, 30 and below, show absolutely no interest in the garden and
so do not maintain it.

This does not bother my daughter because she has no interest in the garden
either.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of neglecting a garden it did make us
ponder about "the younger generation".
[Just a minute, when did we stop being "the younger generation"?]

I think it may partly be the lack of the old Protestant Work Ethic, most of
the older generation were sent to Sunday School and learnt there that they
had a social responsibility and that every aspect of life was about work and
if you happened to enjoy the work lucky you. A lot of younger people seem to
believe life is for enjoyment and if you are not having fun something is
wrong.
I can't say which is right and which is wrong.
That said, that is a generalisation, we have some youngsters on our
allotment, some in their 30's and at least a couple of plot holders in their
20's. Some seem to have a problem with time, especially those with older
children, but then they are at work so only have weekends and they have a
lot to cram into the weekend.
One young couple probably still in their 20's are good gardeners and I
suspect the husband learnt it from someone (an old codger!) by the way he
gardens, certainly not from a book.
Another rather good looking young Mum is doing a superb job on a very
neglected plot but then her parents run a locally well known plant shop but
she (and her sister) are putting in a lot of time and effort.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden