Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Drobium Drobium is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenys Everest View Post
I have chopped off some bits of my coleus plant which was getting leggy, in the hope of it bushing out again - if I suspend these cuttings in the neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more cunning that that - also where would I put them in the sun or in the shade, and how long to I wait before giving up the ghost on them?
Ta!
Glenys
They should root in water, but they are just as easy to root in pots in ordinary multi-purpose compost.
Make the cuttings around 4-5 inches in length and cut them off at the bottom just underneath a pair of leaves.
Don't let any of the leaves touch either the water or the compost or they'll rot.
They'll take around 2 weeks to root out enough to pot if grown in water and should be kept out of full sun which is never good for cuttings.

Don't worry about them too much though, as they are one of the easiest things on earth to get to root.

Good luck! :-)
Yay! it's spring!