Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Alfred Falk Alfred Falk is offline

Default Bees

" wrote in
:

On Jun 8, 12:48*pm, Doug Freyburger wrote:
wrote:

I thought there was a bee crisis in the U.S.

Bee keepers have been going crazy gathering ferral hives and adding
those to their herds. *The genetic diversity resulting from this
activity has been very good for the honey bee population. *It's been
getting better not worse for more than a year so far. *The crisis is
no

past but it does appear to be past its worst. *If you see a ferral
nest you believe to be honey bees do call a bee keeper first, an
exterminator second.

What is a Ferral nest?

Mis-spelling, I think, Should be "feral", meaning "returned to wild
from domestic". Honeybees (_Apis mellifera_) are not native to North
America, so any "wild" colonies must in fact be feral.