Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Recently planted Veggies in Clay Soil

echinosum wrote:
coykiesaol;925894 Wrote:
I recently planted a vegtable garden in our new house and while planting
discovered that our soil is clay. At the time I didn't think much of it
and continued to plant the tomatos, peppers, basil, peas, squash but
after looking online I found that it seems my plants are doomed. That
once their roots grow past the hole that was dug for them and filled in
w/ good soil and compost that the roots will not be able to penetrate
the clay. What do I do know that my plants are already in the ground? Do
I dig them up and make bigger holes? Do I let them go and hope for the
best? We are planning on making raised beds for our garden later this
summer, we just didn't have time right now since we just moved in last
weekend. Is there anything to save my veggies?

Is your soil clay in the sense of being a brick pit the London Brick
Company hasn't exploited yet, or just, like most people's clayey soil,
rather clayey? In the latter case, if you dig in plenty of organic
matter, you'll probably find it is wonderful stuff for growing many
kinds of veg.

Plants like peppers and basil often do better in pots than in the
ground, because they would prefer a higher soil temperature than British
ground often obtains. So don't be downhearted if your attempt to grow
them in the ground is disappointing. I grew some peppers in the ground
and some in pots last year as an experiment, got almost nothing from the
ground-grown ones and lots off the pot-grown ones. Black plastic pots
are the best for these purposes, to my wife's aesthetic disappointment.

When you dig your holes take a good look at the soil. Are there any roots
of the grass or weeds that go deeper than three inches? If not your plants
may do very well. By digging a bigger hole may help and may not. It depends
on the plant. Corn will not grow well. If it rains allot the roots may get
too much water and grow poorly. If it rains occasionally they may survive.
Clay holds water. Could dig a small hole and fill the hole with water. If
the water is still in the hole several hours later it will not be good for
the plants.

Raised beds is the way to go for clay soil.