Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

Default Turbulence and plants

As I understand it, surface turbulence is only a problem when you are
injecting CO2. If you're not injecting, then the amt of turbulence
doesn't really matter, AFAIK.

FWIW, I used to use a Whisper power filter - it's a similar design as
the Emperor 400, outside mounted, etc. - but replaced it with an Eheim
2026 a few months back. I anticipate doing the CO2 thing sometime in
the next 6 months or so (when I get around to it), so I have the return
spraybar pointed downwards towards the back wall of the tank (55g).
Plenty of current in the tank, but the surface is very smooth and quiet.

pete

HDH wrote:
Hi All,
Just set up a new 55 gallon and planning to make it a light- to
moderately-planted tank, without CO2. I currently have an Emperor 400 on it
that is making more noise than it should, and I am going to return it,
either for another one or for a cannister (Eheim 2235). I would prefer not
to spend the money on a cannister, especially since opinions of the Emperor
are almost unanimously good.

My question relates to turbulence. There is *a lot* of it on the surface of
the water with the Emperor, and in my research I've come across some info
regarding turbulence being detrimental to plants (robs them of oxygen?).

How much of a concern should this be for me?

Thanks for any input,
Howard

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."