Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Alex R

Default No PH change with DIY CO2

"Dave Mc" wrote in message
DIY CO2 cannot be diffused successfully because the
pressure needed to run an adequate diffuser must be much higher than the
yeast generator can produce.
Alex

Alex, are you saying that a DIY CO2 setup cannot produce enought pressure

blow through an airstone? From my home brewing experience I know that not
only can CO2 do this easily, but it can also shatter glass bottles or blow
corks out of well sealed bottles (hence the wire around Champangue corks).
If the CO2 was not able to force its way through the airstone then Rick
would not see any bubbles.

Actually, what I meant by an adequate diffuser was something like the Eheim
diffuser used under high pressure in pressurized systems. And yes, the
pressure from the yeast will eventually build up to that level, but you'll
probably get leaks in the connections or the cork blowing out before you can
force CO2 through that diffuser. So my reasoning was that the Rena bubbler
wasn't producing small-enough bubbles if it was able to run under a low
pressure. But I did look up this product in the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog,
and they actually say that it can be used to diffuse CO2. So, I don't know,
it might actually work with yeast systems. BTW, a DIY system can easily push
CO2 through a regular airstone, but it wouldn't work well by itself as a
diffuser.
__
Alex R