Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default effective microorganisms ?

On 06/08/2011 11:53 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote

Does anyone use "effective microorganisms" (I don't mean various
herbaceous teas, although I suppose these might qualify) in their
gardens, and to what effect? Specifically the EM-1 product.

Not sure as to the benefits are although there do seem to be a

number of
studies now showing them. I buy young grafts from a guy in Boskoop

who
swears by the stuff, and I must say his are about the healthiest --

and
have the lowest mortality rate -- of any I've seen.

Yes I've used it (see link below) and although I have used it on the
garden
and in the rain barrels I mainly use it for my pond, specifically the
biological filters. Whilst I can't say what it does for the soil, not

yet
having tried in on the allotment, I can say it makes a significant
difference to a filtered pond. Any muck clumps up so is easy to

remove both
from the pond and the filters, the filters stay cleaner, the water stays
clearer, the fish look better/healthier, the improvement is noticeable.
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/em-gar...-pr-16177.html
One thing, the little yellow heated plastic yoghurt maker broke after
just a
few goes but I find a heated propagator works just as well.

How do you use it in the pond? Do you just add the concentrate from
the yoghurt activator direct to the pond, or do you use the 'mud
balls' or the 'Pond Magic', that they also sell? Presumably once
you've got the initial batch of EM from the supplier, you can just
keep creating more in the activator, just as you can with yoghurt,
without actually buying any more.

I just pour about a glass full in the pond, nothing scientific. Having
not yet run out of the initial stuff I don't know about it being self
perpetuating but I can't see why not. As long as you can find something
for it to eat to bulk up (dilute black treacle perhaps**) then it should
work.
** They sell Molasses to feed the culture.

Thanks Bob. I'll definitely be giving EM a try, but probably just the
straight EM-1 bought directly to start. There's also an EM-5 which is
advertised to keep bugs off, but given the price I suppose I'll give
that the miss for now.

I think you can use any molasses in the brewers, though maybe not Golden
Syrup...

As it is rather the fashion in some circles now, I'm a bit surprised no
one else has chimed in.

-E