Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Courgettes ready to cut?

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:01:35 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"gmb27" wrote in message

Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off my
courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for the
first time this year. Thanks!

You can cut them at all sizes including the flowers for stuffing, however
it'd be normal to cut them at about 10cm or 15 cm. BUT, even though you
maintain constant vigilance, you will find that some still manage to
escape
detection and you will have to cut them when they reach the size of a
torpedo. When that happens, cut then in half lengthwise and stuff them
with
a savoury mince mix, top it with cheese and bake it in the oven, so just
feed that halved segments to the chooks. Chooks LOVE torpedo sized
zucchini.

And pigs.

But, since I don't have pigs or chickens- I peel, seed, and grate
mine, lightly salt, drain for a bit- wrap in a towel and squeeze out.
Mix with an egg, some flour or cornmeal and some onion. Make a
patty and fry in oil. [a zucchini latke ]
Serve with some melted smoked provolone and roasted red pepper.

Jim

I'm with you, that's also my favorite means of preserving them. Just fry
them in a little olive oil until almost done. Then drain and freeze. I like
a bit of dill and cayenne added to mine.

Steve