Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - Age of posters on this NG (and gardeners in general)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:36:37 +0100, Bill Grey wrote:

Nobody much is interested in manual work.

Why should they when they can sit on the behinds and get benefits.
The poverty trap is still very much present. I'm freelance and have a
low income, if I have a good year I can earn several thousand pounds
more gross but the corresponding reduction in WTC and CTC very nearly
wipe any gain out. Say I work say an 3 extra weeks, I only end up
with the equivalent of a weeks extra money, not a great incentive to
work hard is it...

We have a generation thinks not to go to "uni" is failure.

And now any further education establishment can call itself a
"university", places that used to be "technical college" or a
"polytechnic".

When they get there they learn useless crap. Political studies.
Psychology. Television studies.

Political Studie might have use provided anyone who takes that course
is not allowed anywhere near anything political (from Parish Council
up) untill they have done at least 10 year in industry. Carere
politicians are a menance, they just don't have a broad enough
knowledge base of how the world really works.

Psychology is required for those looking after a broad range of
people with many forms of brain disorder or mental problems.

Television Studies I better keep quiet about as Television is how I
earn my little crust. Though the numbers going through "media"
courses that come out the other end hardly knowing one end of camera
from the other is worrying.

--
Cheers
Dave.