Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
fsadfa fsadfa is offline

Default Time to repot tomatoes?

On Jun 9, 6:53*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
fsadfa wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:10 am, BigKev wrote:
Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started
flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until
they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web.
In fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to
remove the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

--
BigKev

if they flower too early you will get a few big tomotoes on a tiny
small bush

I doubt that. *In the right situation they just power on making more flowers
and fruit regardless of age of first flower.

D- Hide quoted text -

I meant if the flower sets fruit too early you will get a few big
tomatoes on a tiny bush, all the energy goes toward making the
tomatoe, not growing the plant, and a small plant can't spare the
energy to do both. I snip off early fruit if the plant is too small,
unless it's a cherry variety. Once a plant gets to a certain size, it
can power doing both as you say.

If you in a whose got a bigger tomatoe plant contest, just snip all
the flowers off and see what happens!