Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Basket Strawberries

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:22:01 +0000, kay
wrote:

Jake;926246 Wrote:

Now if you have some way
to suspend some, say, 3 inch pots on string below your hanging
baskets, you could encourage the runners to root into them and, once
rooted, chop them off and then use them to increase/replace your stock
next year.

If you manage to do this, please can you post a pic!

I'm growing strawberries in a tower contraption (pic at
http://tinyurl.com/697manh) and did the hanging pot trick last year by
making some pot holders/hooks out of wire coat hangers. Hooked the pot
over the edge of the "pod" the runner was growing from and then
"stapled" the runner into the pot with some bent wire. I'll try the
wet moss idea as well this year and post some pics of the results.

I suggested string for the hanging basket as I thought that something
less flexible (bent coat hanger) would be too easy to knock off when
someone walked under the basket!