Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin Roger Tonkin is offline

Default OT - Age of posters on this NG (and gardeners in general)

There don't seem to be many people who admit to being under 30
responding. As someone who is more than twice the age and has gardened
for many years, I still learn from here and ask questions.

My mother was the gardener in our house, father did the digging and cut
the lawns etc, but hated it! I learnt a bit from her, but was not really
interested until we moved into a new house as newly weds and was faced
with a small garden to sort out. Once I had my first crops of veggies, I
never looked back.

The wife is in charge of the flowery bits, but I deal with the rest,
although age means weeding and planting take longer and I now wish I has
raised beds!

Many younger people have neer gardened becuase of the readily available
supply of cheapish veggies and seemingly endless cash to waste on them.

Daughter (now approaching 40) enjoys gardening and growing veggies, her
husband does not. Son will maintain the lawn & flowerbeds they have but
nothing else.

If there is such a lack of younger gardeners, why is there still such a
demand for allotments. Maybe they are too busy on their plots to urgle!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales