Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Bob Alston

Default swords and emersed leaves.....

My swords like iron at their roots. I use Root Tabs plus Iron, available at
many LFS. I notice a big improvement from doing just this, along with 3
watts per gallon light. One sword plant bloomed recently in my 55 gallon
tank!

Agree with prior post, if new leaves are coming in and look right, then
don't worry. If new leaves and old ones look the same (shape) but the older
ones are yellow, suggest the iron. Anyway, you can't hurt by adding the
iron root tabs.

Bob
"WD" wrote in message
I understand that many aquatic plants are grown out of water, and these
leaves will die, being replaced with new. I recently bought 3 large amazon
swords, and the leaves are yellowing. At what point should I worry? What

can
I do to ensure their survival?
75 US gallon
20 gallon sump, standard overflow
40x4 flourescent, timed, 11 or so hours per day
heavy fish load (barbs, tetras, loaches)
moderately planted, java fern, java moss,anubias, anacharis, amazon

swords.
Using seachem florish, seachem trace according to package directions.
ph 7.1-7.2
temp 78f
nitrite0
ammonia 0
nitrate 80ppm+

Yeah, I did each test as I wrote this. The nitrate results surprised,
shocked, and horrified me. Water change scheduled. Like 10 minutes from
now.g

tia

Billy