Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Kiwi

On 2011-06-11 16:22:31 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:26:09 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?)..
They grew into sturdy plants and over the years put on a lot of growth..
This year for the first time they are flowering! I was reconciled to
their never doing that. Now I'm wondering if they may fruit too!

Has anyone here got one that fruits?

Hugh

They certainly do grow from the seed. (To small to be stones!)
As Charlie says, it just depends if you have a male and a female.
Good luck! We had some germinate once but never got to fruiting them.

I rmemember once on GQT somebody saying that she planted a whole kiwi
friut! *I can't remember the question rf the answers, just the
amazement of the team that she planted the whole fruit with so many
seeds.

Pam in Bristol

I'm trying to remember - was it Kiwi that was found growing right up
into mature trees when the Lost Gardens of Heligan were being restored?
*I think whatever-it-was was in the Italian Garden.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

As you go up the drive to RNIB Manor House in Torquay the retaining
wall which is around 20ft high is/ was covered with an old Actinidia,
from the days before anyone knew about "Kiwi fruit", grown for foliage.