Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
I've posted a couple of messages today but one on this thread with some photos and a video appears to have got lost.
Here's the post that seems to have got lost.

I’m in favour of “leaky hoses” the only problem can be if there is any likelihood of damage if they are above ground. Mine are mostly a couple of inches below the surface, but I leave the ends slightly exposed so I can check they are working.
Mine feed the whole of one side of a garden from this tap under the kitchen window, via an ancient mechanical Hoselock water meter.

I can set the number of gallons (yes that old!) and it will shut itself off when it has passed that amount.

The water supply goes through a pipe under the patio and our koi pool concrete collar and emerges behind the waterfall. It is connected to one of these cheap Hoselock water valves. You can set it for 1, 2, 1+2, or off.

One length of leaky hose feeds the bottom end of the garden.
Another length of hose is connected to this second valve, the house-side of the rockery.

One length of leaky hose feeds the rockery, the other the bed at the side of the patio.
This means I can water any combination of any section of the garden from one to three.
The hoses on the rockery and the patio bed are arranged in an “S” shape to get maximum coverage.
I often shut off the supply to the rockery as it needs less water.

My biggest indulgence is my “pop up” sprinklers on the lawn.
I bought them new on eBay for a few pounds and they are connected to “speed fit” pipe from a tap on the side of the garage, controlled by a recycled heating valve. I re-maid the path where the pipe work passes under it with some spare materials I had. So the total cost was only around fifty quid. It covers the lawn the bed adjacent to the pool, the bed at the bottom of the garden and most of the bed between my tea-house and the shed.

This was my “dry run” or should I say “wet run” to make sure the mains pressure was enough to make them work. The supply goes to a point mid-way between the heads to ensure an even pressure at both. I took six inch deep wedges out of the lawn, laid the pipe work and replaced the wedges in the same order. Half a day’s work.

You can see them working (if you're still reading this) at the end of this video.

YouTube - ‪Our Garden, April 2011‬‏
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."