Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default What's this?

On Jun 11, 10:47*pm, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:53:00 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:47*pm, Rod wrote:
I wonder if anybody knows what this is? It's a self sown seedling, I
have 3 of them and I'm sure I've seen more seedlings when weeding so
it could probably become a nuisance if I'm not careful. I'm quite
happy to have a few of them around though - I quite like it and it
grows in some of those difficult to plant hot dry poor places.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvan4...72157626909132.......

There's also a selection of recent photos of my garden in that set.

Rod

Try purple loosestrife *http://www.reallywildflowers.co.uk/p...e_loosestrife/

I'm not sure, Dave. I can't get my eyes to focus down properly, but I
have the impression of Purple toadflax, _Linaria purpurea_. If the
flowers are rather like tiny snapdragons, that's what it is, and
whatever you do, Rod, don't let it seed: very pretty, but give it an
inch...been there (still am, in fact), done that. Particularly
confusing among lavenders.

If not snap-ish, then, yes, looks like purple loosestrife (Ophelia's
"long purples").

--
Mike.

Yes, spot on Mike - thanks for that. Just the sort of surprise you get
with a new garden, I never saw it in 33years in the old garden which
is just a mile down the road from here. I like a bit of serendipity in
a garden if it doesn't get too much out of hand. For the others , yes
I forgot to mention the bees - they love it so it's welcome to stay so
long as it behaves itself.

Rod

Rod