Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Lettuce stump propagation

"Baz" wrote in message ...

Very interesting!
I do the same with cabbages and cauli and always have "spring greens",
later in the year, almost as good as the real thing. A good thing if you
have a small garden. A very good source of vitamins in all cases when the
outer leaves of a cabbage or cauli has toughened up and can't use. Just go
back and use some previously cropped ones which have restarted a bit of
growth.

BTW Little Gem is my choice too and can never get them to coincide with my
toms, beetroot or cucumber, garlic(the salad I like)

Baz

Thanks for that Baz. When you leave a stump of cabbage or cauli, do you
leave an old leaf on the stump?

With lettuce, may neighbour leaves a clean cut. TIA

Bertie