Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobium View Post
I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly. eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away. eg honeysuckle.

The dictionary description of Scent is "Discern by smell." So I'd agree with this as you'd have to sniff something, to recognise its smell.

Manufacturers describe their perfumes as "fragrances," so take your choice there.
I'd consider "perfumes" as specifics and "fragrances" as a collective noun.
I'd personally use either scent or fragrance describe the scent of wisteria blooms in the air (of which we have many). But I don't think it really matters which word you use. I just enjoy the sensation.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."