Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Disappearing Cherries

On Jun 12, 10:41*am, Pam Moore wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:42:14 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

A friend of mine reckons her tree has so few friut this year because
of the drought. *Can this be so?

Pam in Bristol

It's possible - but the disappearing cherries could be squirrels. At
work we had to resort to replacing the plastic netting on the cage by
wire netting. The trees are on 'Colt' rootstock but the cage is still
huge and the trees get through it and have to be pruned more than we
would like. If I were starting again there is a better rootstock
available 'Giselle' which is dwarfer and makes fan training on a wall
a more reasonable proposition and protection much easier.

Rod