Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Exochorda

On 2011-06-12 16:23:20 +0100, Jeff said:

Just been to an NGS garden. There was a shrub with fruit that I hadn't
seen before. According to the owner, it was Exochorda (x macrantha
"The Bride" apparently).

Does Exochorda commonly produce fruit? The owner had never seen fruit
before, and I haven't come across it. But then it's (a) usually in
flower when I see it, or (b) I paid no attention to a shrub not in
flower so just didn't notice it.

Can those who grow Exochorda confirm that it regularly fruits (or
doesn't) as the case may be?

I'm not going out to look at ours in this but here's something that
suggests they have seed capsules, if that's what is meant
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Exochorda

Yes, that is what was on the plant.

I tend to use "fruit" in a very simplistic manner - it's the part of the
plant which carries or is the seed! It doesn't matter what it looks
like - berry, fruit, nut, etc. Maybe "fruiting body" might be a little
more descriptive. Or you could use the definition Stuart supplied!

--

Jeff