Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Scent v perfume v fragrance

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:02:48 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but
you would not call it a perfume

Wouldn't that be aroma... and I don't mean some unbathed dago! lol