Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Lettuce stump propagation

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Jun 12, 2:42 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Baz" wrote in ...
Very interesting!
I do the same with cabbages and cauli and always have "spring greens",
later in the year, almost as good as the real thing. A good thing if you
have a small garden. A very good source of vitamins in all cases when the
outer leaves of a cabbage or cauli has toughened up and can't use. Just
go
back and use some previously cropped ones which have restarted a bit of
growth.
BTW Little Gem is my choice too and can never get them to coincide with
my
toms, beetroot or cucumber, garlic(the salad I like)
Baz

Thanks for that Baz. When you leave a stump of cabbage or cauli, do you
leave an old leaf on the stump?

With lettuce, may neighbour leaves a clean cut. TIA

Bertie

With cabbage you clean the stump and cut a cross in the top this helps
to direct to the top buds, you will get greens, but if you leave then
you will only get flowering stems, the same with lettuce, you will
never get a lettuce that will heart from side shoots.

Thanks Dave, I'll pass the news to my neighbour.