Old 13-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAt View Post
Thank you! The sprinkled water is not easy to see on the video - it took me a while to realize that I was actually looking at it!
Yes, the heads produce quite a fine spray, you can get throughly soaked just walking past them! I can adjust them to cover from 10 to 360 degrees, so I created a narrow "dead spot" where the control is situated so I'm not watering much of the shed or the garage and a 45 degree quadrant with the far one to ensure our tea-house doesn't get watered.
I can turn them on and get out of the way before they come up, so turning them off only involves getting wet once. Or if I'm really bothered, I can turn on the tap under the kitchen window so the reduced pressure isn't enough to overcome the springs that keep the heads in the off position and then I can turn them off without getting wet at all.
I'm not sure if the mains pressure would be enough to power more than three.

This is a link to the vendor on eBay where I bought the heads last year.

Pop Up Garden Sprinkler - Adjustable Spray Arc | eBay UK

I think B&Q sell a system, but I'm never enamoured of much of their stuff.

Installing such a system as mine is well within the capabilities of the average DIYer.

I used "speed-fit" pipework and connections, as they are pretty much indestructable and are unaffected by frost.
I bought a roll of pipe and the surplus came in handy to protect some low voltage cable that feeds a couple of my outdoor lamps.

As you can see the scarring was minimal and the lawn recovered in a couple of weeks.

Now, no one notices they are there when they aren't working and I can just go straight over the heads with my Flymo.

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."