Old 13-06-2011, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default shrub ID

On 13/06/2011 15:22, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In , Jeff Layman

I'm puzzled by your comment that it can't be rosaceous as it has
opposite foliage. According to my RHS Dictionary of Gardening,
Philadelphus has "Leaves usually deciduous, opposite, simple". In any
case, are you sure that the leaves are not compound? Some in
Shrub06a.jpg about half-way down on the extreme right appear to be
opposite leaves, but could be a compound leaf. Agree with you about
the number of petals, though.

Philadelphus is not rosaceous (it's a member of Hydrangeaceae)

If it looks like a rose, and smells as sweet as a rose... You are
right, of course, but there are some genera I just will never be able to
associate with certain families!

I take your point about the possibility of a compound leaf, which in
theory would bring Rosaceae back into the reckoning. It's not Sorbus;
and it didn't shout out Rosa either - any other possibilities?

Not really, but if you have some time on your hands (like many years...)
you might want to consider Rubus - and then quickly reject it!

--

Jeff