Old 17-06-2011, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default String trimmer replacement heads

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:18:30 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:31:14 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

I have a 2 cycle gas string trimmer.
I finally wore out the bang-on-the-ground string trimmer head.
Pretty much fell apart from being smashed on the ground to get
it to feed new string, which it rarely did.

I see you can get either bump and feed or heads that take fixed
lengths of string.

Are there bump and feed units that work or should I go with
one of the units that take short lengths of string.
Any recommendations welcome.

I use the unit almost exclusively for lawn edging.

thanks in advance...

I prefer the fixed length strings edging. The fixed length systems require
far less cussing. Takes less than a minute to change. Can take a greater
variety of string. I buy a huge spool of string the last for years.

Agreed on all points

http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-22-Inc...f=pd_sbs_ol_13

I bought locally for hundred bucks less three years ago. I must were safety
googles this thing can throw rocks.

That looks like it can do some serious weed whacking.

I strongly suggest purchasing string trimmers from an authorized
dealer that does maintenence/repairs on premises.

I have the GT 225i, light weight with plenty of power:
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=TRIMMER

I have the Rapid Loader head, trouble free. I've been using the same
jumbo spool of line for several years, during winter I nip off lengths
with a pair of dikes, make bundles secured with a rubberband... put
one in a pocket and head out:
http://www.echo-usa.com/videos/?cat=howto&id=25

How to choose a string trimmer:
http://www.echo-usa.com/videos/?cat=howto&id=19

Do not litter spent string, it's unsightly and a danger to critters
that may become entangled or eat it. I do not recommend string
trimming around trees/shrubs, the string will cut the bark and
eventually kill the plant.

There is one thing. I hate the mixed oil machines. For a while there was
the snow blower, trimmer and chain saws. I ditched the mixed gas/oil
machines and went towards all gas. Exception is the chainsaws and I hate
them. Gasohol wrecked one, wrecked another when I forgot the oil mix and
used straight gas. I am thinking my next chainsaw will be electric, battery
or with a portable generator. So far I think of chainsaws as disposable
item that does not last. That is why I like my swisher trimmer it uses
straight gas.

Didn't you have separate cans marked for 4 cycle and 2 cycle? Boy
would you be in trouble if you had to use diesel too. I wouldn't want
an electric chain saw if it were a gift free for nothing, I toss it
where it belongs, in the trash.