Old 17-06-2011, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default String trimmer replacement heads

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:35:49 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:31:14 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

I have a 2 cycle gas string trimmer.
I finally wore out the bang-on-the-ground string trimmer head.
Pretty much fell apart from being smashed on the ground to get
it to feed new string, which it rarely did.

I see you can get either bump and feed or heads that take fixed
lengths of string.

Are there bump and feed units that work or should I go with
one of the units that take short lengths of string.
Any recommendations welcome.

I use the unit almost exclusively for lawn edging.

thanks in advance...

I prefer the fixed length strings edging. The fixed length systems require
far less cussing. Takes less than a minute to change. Can take a greater
variety of string. I buy a huge spool of string the last for years.

Agreed on all points

http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-22-Inc...tton/dp/B00221
Q2ZW/ref=pd_sbs_ol_13

I bought locally for hundred bucks less three years ago. I must were
safety
googles this thing can throw rocks.

That looks like it can do some serious weed whacking.

I strongly suggest purchasing string trimmers from an authorized
dealer that does maintenence/repairs on premises.

I have the GT 225i, light weight with plenty of power:
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=TRIMMER

I have the Rapid Loader head, trouble free. I've been using the same
jumbo spool of line for several years, during winter I nip off lengths
with a pair of dikes, make bundles secured with a rubberband... put
one in a pocket and head out:
http://www.echo-usa.com/videos/?cat=howto&id=25

How to choose a string trimmer:
http://www.echo-usa.com/videos/?cat=howto&id=19

Do not litter spent string, it's unsightly and a danger to critters
that may become entangled or eat it. I do not recommend string
trimming around trees/shrubs, the string will cut the bark and
eventually kill the plant.

There is one thing. I hate the mixed oil machines. For a while there was
the snow blower, trimmer and chain saws. I ditched the mixed gas/oil
machines and went towards all gas. Exception is the chainsaws and I hate
them. Gasohol wrecked one, wrecked another when I forgot the oil mix and
used straight gas. I am thinking my next chainsaw will be electric, battery
or with a portable generator. So far I think of chainsaws as disposable
item that does not last. That is why I like my swisher trimmer it uses
straight gas.

The battery powered equipment are weak, and when it's time to replace
the battery you find it costs about as much as as the equipment costs
new.

Electric tools are inexpensive, and reliable, if you have a nearby
outlet.

Many corded electric tools are perfectly fine, like drill motors,
sanders, etc., but electric chain saws are extremely dangerous out in
the field, too easy to get tangled with the wire when avoiding a
falling tree.