Old 18-06-2011, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default String trimmer replacement heads - electric chainsaws

wrote:
writes:

snips

Many corded electric tools are perfectly fine, like drill motors,
sanders, etc., but electric chain saws are extremely dangerous out in
the field, too easy to get tangled with the wire when avoiding a
falling tree.

I've never seen a tree-felling electric chain saw ..
The ones that I've seen are 14 inch - 16 inch bar
- but not meant for any heavy work - it's obvious.
That said - the cord IS a nuisance - and perhaps a hazard.

Ancient dogwood 20ft high, about 6 inches diameter at the base.
Felled and cut into lengths I could carry to the curb in a half
hour.

My other trees are mostly 30+ inch Tulip Poplars and Oaks.
Felling them myself is out of the question.

I find the cord easy to manage.
I've used gas powered chain saws.
I can't agree that one is more dangerous than the other,
providing you are using the right size tool for the job.

I do not need to drop any trees. The chain saw is mostly for trimming trees
and clearing paths from down limbs and small newly growing trees. It is the
vibration of the machines that also bugs me. I have heard that electrics
are easier to handle, run smoother and last longer. Time is something I
have lots of. So if the battery plays out, I can wait until the next day.
Battery or cord with a generator?