Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Bill Beam

Default Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK?

I'm trying to get rid of some green hair algae and found out from
reading these boards that I'm leaving the light on too long. I have
been turning it on when I get up - about 8:00 AM and off at about
11:30 PM. Plants seem to be doing great but the algae grows on the
plants where the light is strongest. Anyway, I would like to have the
lights on to see the fish when I'm most likely to be near the tank.
These hours are in the morning and before I go to bed. Question then:
Can I turn the light on from 8 to Noon - then turn it off and then
back on again at 9pm - 11:30pm? Will the plants grow OK and I'm
guessing less total light will cure my algae problem? Guess what
I'm asking is - Do plant's need continuous light or is sporadic light
for the same amount of time OK?