Old 18-06-2011, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_6_] David Rance[_6_] is offline

Default Plant ID Please

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 Ian B wrote:

I inherited this from my mother, and have no idea what it is. Any idea,
anyone?

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...n%201/?action=
view&current=Image004-1.jpg

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...n%201/?action=
view&current=Image005.jpg

It would be nice to know what care it's meant to be getting, though this is
the second year it has flowered so it can't be too unhappy...

It's an Amaryllis. I've had one that *my* mother gave me more than
thirty years ago (my father bought it for her in Woolworth's) and it's
still going strong. Keep it watered in summer and just damp or even no
water in winter. Feed from time to time, especially after flowering. You
may get years when it doesn't flower but don't give up hope. It'll grow
small bulbs to the side which can be potted on and will provide new
plants.

David

http://rance.org.uk