Old 18-06-2011, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Plant ID Please

"Ian B" wrote

I have to say it looks more like the Clivia pictures to me. If it's any
help, it always has leaves. I've never seen it "naked" like the amaryllis
photo.

Thanks to everyone who has answered. Regarding the "overwatering" Bob
mentioend; to be honest it's been very definitely "underwatered", verging
on entirely forgotten at times, and never seems to have suffered. There
were times I wondered if it was plastic, considering how little water it
has managed on.

It was in my mother's hall, getting very little light, and when she was
ill and for a while after she died, it got no water at all, I just forgot
it. But it survived anyway. It currently lives on my living room window
sill (inside); I never saw it flower when my mum had it but this is the
second year it's flowered now, probably because it's been watered
occasionally and sees the sun. It faces southish but there are so many
trees it never really gets direct sun, except in a dappled kind of a way.

I did give it some solid feed earlier in the year, "Growmore" granular
stuff, that I just mixed into the top of the compost. I wonder if I should
repot it, as it never has been.

How big might it get with love and care? I've no idea how old it is.

As you have discovered with love and care you will probably kill it. With
nearly total neglect it will gradually get bigger and bigger until the pot
cracks, then you repot in a bigger pot and you start all over again until
you can't lift the pot.
Age is difficult because it sounds like you Mum treated it rather badly with
little light, I recently gave away one I grew from seed that wasn't much
smaller than your one and that was 4 years old.
BTW mine was originally my mothers, she died in 1993. I've also inherited
another one since with a different flower colour.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden