Old 19-06-2011, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Takesumi - anyone used it?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:38:41 +0100, mogga
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:35:56 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote

I have been give some takesumi samples
Has anyone used it?

Isn't that the expensive charcoal made from bamboo?
Why would normal charcoal not do the same thing?

Yup.
Not a clue... unless there's something special in bamboo that is
magical? Is bamboo used because it has long roots that adbsorb
nutrients well, or because it's prolific and easy to crop?

The latter, I think. There's been a big commercial push on bamboo in
the last few years: strips stuck together to make wooden things, even
very soft fibres for textiles, etc etc. I've got an attractive mat,
about 6' x 8', in my conservatory, made of one-inch flat strips with a
rubbery backing. Probably quite a good thing,
conservationistically...but there's always a catch (real or
fictitiious). This faddy charcoal is probably made from the waste.

The only bamboos I've met have had shallow roots.

I shall have to take some photos before and after perhaps and look
back in a year and see if there's a difference between an untreated
patch.

I'm not going to eat it anyway!

--
Mike.