Old 19-06-2011, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Potatoes blooming - how long to harvest?

In article 31,
Zootal wrote:

I have a 50 foot long bed of potatoes. They are growing well, but they have
started to bloom. Is there any kind of a rule of thumb for how long from
blossoms to harvest? They have never bloomed so early in the season before.

I'd just check for new potatoes after the plants look punk. You have
to remember some 4 legged critters that love straight rows are keeping
a nose out too.
So I'd harvest too early rather than too late unless you like moles and
voles. Storage becomes an issue like having a small root cellar.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/