Old 20-06-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default tomatoes not flowering

Nad R wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so
you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.

hmmm...

The poster is from the UK. I believe the poster is using Celcius for
temperature. Ten degrees Celsius is Fifty Degrees Fahrenheit.

Also fifteen inches is not very high. Tomatoes depending on variety grows
around five to eight feet tall depending on variety. What the original
poster does not state is how long he has been growing them. Fifty degrees
fahrenheit is too cool to grow. Tomatoes grow well in temperatures in the
seventies fahrenheit. They will not grow also if temp is too hight like the
nineties.

If the temperature drops under forty the plants may die.
So what are the condition of the plants? Nice and green?

My guess is... the pots are two small for continued growth for indoors. A
fifteen inch plant probably needs at least a five gallon deep bucket with
drainage holes. Flowers may not begin until the plant is around three feet
high using a trellis.

The original poster could also be using raised beds inside the green house.
Is this the case???