Old 21-06-2011, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default OT English System vs Imperial System of Measure

"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

As the old saying goes: "Two Countries divided by a common language"
In the US we call it the "English System of Measurements". The UK calls
it
the "Imperial System".

No it's not. An Imperial Pint has 20 fl ounces.

I have traveled to Canada on occasion. Canada uses the Imperial Gallon as
4.5 liters. Where the US Gallon is 3.7 liters for gasoline containers.

So can I assume we both learned something here?
You now know what the English System is now?

And that we both need to be conscious of the English vs Imperial
differences?
In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science
Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am
also familure with.

But as you stated you seem to use a mixed system, Celsius for temperature
and inches for measurement. Is this common to mix it up in your part of
the
world? Here in the US the two systems are separate, no mix. It is one or
the other.

Perhaps in the future I should use the term "Gallon:US" and others us
"gallon:UK"
So in your part of the world, do you have Five Gallon Buckets? if so I
wonder what the size difference is.

This being Usenet my guess has as much relevance as any I have gleaned
from the regular posts that we are not a bunch of teenagers and this being
the case, those of us from the UK or Aus will have been taught the imperial
system at school and then "converted" to Metric at some time in our working
lives. Like FarmI I know what 2 inches looks like I know what a foot looks
like I just have to mentally convert them when speaking to the youngsters or
risk the blank stares. However "they" do not think of us older people when
they tell us the fence must be 198cm high ( 6 foot 6 inches) not an easy sum
to do if your hats on tight. So no, in every day life we use the Metric
system its just some of us are better at visualising feet and inches.

My Five Gallon Bucket is a 20 litre jerry can.

Mike